6 replies to this topic

#1 Varela760

Varela760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

POPULAR

I need some help trying to install this LED bar to my 04 YFZ. My plan is to rip the oem lights off and just use the oem light switch for the LED bar. Any ideas on how to install the Bar Using The OEM Light Switch? Thank you for your help

#2 MineURBiz

MineURBiz

Resident Asshole

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

I need some help trying to install this LED bar to my 04 YFZ. My plan is to rip the oem lights off and just use the oem light switch for the LED bar. Any ideas on how to install the Bar Using The OEM Light Switch? Thank you for your help

You could use the plug from a stock light and attach it to the led wiring.

#3 Varela760

Varela760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

The Thing is that I need to hook it up directly to the battery so that it gets its power straight from the source. you Think i should just get a whole different switch?

#4 fatsoe82

fatsoe82

YFZ Guru

• Lifetime Member Purple
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

The Thing is that I need to hook it up directly to the battery so that it gets its power straight from the source. you Think i should just get a whole different switch?

Where do you live? I saw the 760 in your name and might be close enough to help.

#5 Varela760

Varela760

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

Yeah I actually live in Escondido, I still have yet to see if my stator will hold up. The led bar says no rewound stator is needed so we'll see

#6 dirtycarl

dirtycarl

OGDC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:Anything with a motor

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

The electrical system on carbureted YFZs is a DC/AC mix. The lights run off of AC (which is why they won't turn on unless the motor is running) and the rest of the electrical is DC. The way the regulator/rectifier is set up you don't get a lot of "extra" DC current to run anything other than the ignition, fan, etc.

Wiring a LED light bar straight to the battery might work short term, but it's kind of the half-ass way of doing things. The "full-ass" way of doing it is to convert to a full DC system by swapping out the regulator/rectifier (from a company like Trail Tech or Ricky Stator) and either "floating the ground" on the stock stator or preferably just buying a new high output stator from one of the companies just listed. A new stator will allow you to run about 100w of accessories (lights, grip heaters, whatever you want) in addition to the electrical needs of the bike. It'll cost you anywhere from $60-$200 depending on which route you go.

I'm putting LED and HID lights on my '05 as we speak and just got the Ricky Stator 100w kit in the mail today. Hope to do a write up on the install soon.

Edit: Whoops, just realized this thread is 3 months old....

Edited by dirtycarl, 27 December 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#7 Dust N' U

Dust N' U

YFZ Tech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Good info dirtycarl.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users